Emotional Intelligence – What the heck is it??
Written by Renée Safrata - email@example.com, April 21st, 2009
Emotional Intelligence is smart!
It is key to the success of highly developed and functioning teams. When individuals are aware of the five elements of emotional intelligence they have a deeper ability to navigate individual and team effectiveness.
There has been lots of buzz about Emotional Intelligence for years, as well as lots of confusion about what it is.
The five core elements of Emotional Intelligence that we use when working with teams:
- Self awareness: the ability to connect with my emotions and articulate the source,
- Self management: the ability to manage what I do in the midst of that awareness,
- Empathy: once I experience self awareness I can increase my empathy for others,
- Social skills: I can navigate my relationships using my self awareness, management and empathy,
- Leadership assertiveness: not to be confused with ‘leadership aggressiveness’. With assertiveness I can competently come forward with my viewpoint and opinion to influence others and to promote effective decision making.
Consider the impact that elevated emotional intelligence may have within your core team.
- How to Develop Your Team’s Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence: Bring Your Emotions to the Boardroom
- Emotional Intelligence – How does it impact the bottom line?
- The Highs and Lows of Emotional Intelligence in Conflict Navigation
- Emotional Intelligence: Using Self-Awareness to Stay Engaged